Advocacy & Public Policy
Through advocacy and education, Mental Health America of Texas impacts policies on mental health and substance use disorders and suicide prevention at the state level.
Our on-going efforts to affect systems-level changes improve the lives of individuals with mental illness and substance use disorder, combat stigma, promote mental health, prevent mental illness, support suicide prevention and promote recovery.
We provide policymakers, state leaders and other stakeholders with educational materials, research, testimony and advice about issues related to mental health.
Policy activities include:
- Setting policy priorities.
- Leading collaborative efforts of mental health advocates to create legislative changes that improve the prevention and treatment of mental illnesses and substance use disorder.
- Interacting with state agencies and other stakeholders to assure implementation of policy initiatives.
- Educating policymakers, state leaders and other stakeholders about issues related to mental health.
- Developing policy documents about important issues.
- Engaging with other stakeholders to make Texas a healthier state.
MHA Texas is also a member of, and facilitates, the Texas Coalition for Healthy Minds, a coalition of 30 organizations with a primary or otherwise important focus on mental health and/or substance use disorder. coalitionhealthyminds.org
LEGISLATIVE AND POLICY PRIORITIES
View MHA Texas' Legislative Agenda .
In addition, MHA Texas supports the legislative priorities of the following coalitions:
Texas Coalition for Healthy Minds Priorities:
Justice & Mental Health Coalition draft priorities
Substance Use Disorder Coalition of Texas’ Policy Priorities
The Texas Suicide Prevention Council's Texas State Plan for Suicide Prevention
84th Legislative Session:
Our top priority for the 2015 Legislative Session was investment in accessible, effective services for the prevention and treatment of mental illness and substance use disorder. Other priorities included improving school-related suicide prevention, and expanding mental health and substance use disorder workforce. Read our full 2015 Legislative Platform.
84th Legislative Successes – Read the article.